Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ban: "Israel" violating Palestinian rights

just words, but never action..

Israel
is violating the human rights of Palestinians living in the Gaza Strip, the top U.N. official said.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Wednesday that Israel’s decision to interrupt the provision of essential services, such as electricity and fuel, to Gaza contravenes its obligations under international humanitarian and human rights toward the territory’s civilian population.

In a statement Ban called on the Israeli government to reconsider its decision, which also includes a declaration that the Gaza Strip is an “enemy entity.”

“There are 1.4 million people in Gaza, including the old, the young and the sick, who are already suffering from the impact of prolonged closure,” he said. “They should not be punished for the unacceptable actions of militants and extremists.”

The statement noted that the United Nations has broad humanitarian responsibilities and is mandated to provide assistance to and meet the humanitarian needs of civilians in Gaza and the West Bank.

Ban added that “the continued indiscriminate rocket fire from Gaza into Israel is unacceptable and I deplore it. I call for it to stop immediately. I understand Israel’s security concerns over this matter.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's really quitre simple: The Paleos can either stop shooting Qassams and trying to murder Israelis and eat, or they can continue to suffer, and as time passes, they will suffer more.

It will only get worse for them:

A Simmering Sense Of No Way Out

…"Gaza continues calm on the surface, but simmering beneath, with periodic eruptions signaling underlying tensions. Businessmen and unemployed workers grow increasingly pessimistic and anxious about their future, their livelihoods, their children. They are beginning to worry about how long the rift between Gaza and the West Bank might last and with what further consequences," observes Koning-Abu Zayd.

"What I would say, and I say it reluctantly, sadly, perhaps, is that there do seem to be more and more people losing hope for the future... I think when I first came, of course I came during the glory days of Camp David at that time, and we were hopeful then, and then the intifada started and then things got worse, but people were always saying to me then, after the intifada started, 'I may not see a Palestinian state in my lifetime, but my children will.'

"Now I hear people say, 'We're going to leave, we're getting out of here... those who have the opportunity, of course, many of them don't. They say, 'We don't see the future. We don't see the Palestinian state.'

"So they're leaving, and I think you see that... I think this perhaps is one of the most unfortunate indicators of how people are not managing anymore, and don't see how they can in the future. They don't mention security, they don't talk about the economy ... though, nowadays, they don't have to mention the economy, but they mention their children. They say, 'We have to do something for our children; we have to think about them.' I find this a very unfortunate development among the people.